Friday, September 12, 2014

Moroccan Honeymoon - Day One - Part Un

Part Un...

Our arrival in Casablanca was uneventful, which is a good thing. Customs was easy peasy, and the plane ride was an hour long. If I lived in Europe, I'd have been here a half dozen times by now. So, as I was saying, the arrival was uneventful, but once P and I step into the bathrooms, it was another story. While I'm finishing up, I hear men's voices and the cleaning lady yelling at them. I think it must be outside, but when I open my stall, there they are: a half-dozen men starting to help themselves to the ladies bathroom sink to wash for prayer. The heroic cleaning lady kicks them out while I, in my best French say "Que est ce que cest ca'?" Sort s'il vous plait!" After they leave, a parade of women travelers who were on the other side come in as surprised as I was!

Paul and I reconnect, and I say " you missed all the fun!" And recount. Well he had his own adventure; he and a Portuguese guy (hands lathered up) were about to rinse, and suddenly a foot from another gentleman starting to wash got kicked up into the sink where they were cleaning there hands. So... Welcome to Morocco!

Aziz our driver and Asfar greeted us outside of the baggage area, and Aziz drove us to Marrakech. This is a pretty uneventful drive. Aziz was courteous to ask if we wanted to stop any time there was a rest area, which was great, and he pointed out where Mission Impossible 4 is being filmed (probably a scene depicting a lair in the middle of nowhere).

We arrived in the city, and we were dropped outside the walking streets where we were greeted and walked into the riad. Our riad - Maison MK, is amazing. We have it all to ourselves as the first guests after their re-opening from a kitchen remodel. So far we've had fresher squeezed OJ as our welcome refreshment, and some delicious chocolate walnut cake for a snack. They just brought up an honor bar bottle of Bombay Sapphire (how did THEY know ), and the most delicious olives and almonds I've enjoyed in some time.

Our room has rustic bones with modern decor... We have three beautiful lamps that light the room with perfect filtered light, lots of other under mounted lighting for ambience, and there is a built in speaker system playing a mix of fantastic "chill" music. Hanane, our hostess has already given us some tips for what to do this evening, including a walk to the square in an hour or so, then cocktails at sunset around ten to 8:00, and then we have dinner at Le Fondouk to start off our first night in Morocco with local fare.

So far we are in love with the inside... We will have to explore the outside at some point... Once Pablo wakes up from his little nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment