Thursday, June 6, 2013

Helicopter Ride - My First!

First Things First - Please go look at the "We Are In Malongo" post. I updated it, but it's not making it to the top of the page. We have a bunch of pictures in there, and a story about Trig's Place (the Malongo Beach Club).


The Helicopter... 

When I went to Malongo this week, I was fortunate enough to end up being with someone senior enough that they don't have to take the bus to camp from Cabinda Airport, but rather a helicopter comes to pick them up. This considerate person was kind enough to ask if I would like to ride with them. We had been chatting in the airport about some work while waiting for the plane to Cabinda, and I guess I'm just lucky.

In any case, this was my very first helicopter ride. And it was very cool to see our operation from the sky. Funny enough on Saturday, I "celebrated" (read: forgot) that it was my 5th anniversary with the company. As I was sitting in the helicopter, I decided that this was the best thing that I could ask for as a five year anniversary gift. No need for a catalog order item like a funny clock or sports bag. This was much better.

The best part was that when I arrived (in 15 minutes from arrival on the plane to Cabinda, rather than the 1:15 it takes on the bus sometimes), I I.M.'d Paul (who had come the day before to Malongo, and was in a meeting) to check in and proceeded to say "notice how early I've arrived in Malongo?.... :-)" His response.... "Oooooh... you weaseled yourself onto a helicopter, didn't you!?"

He was hoping he would be in one before hand (and should have been, since his job actually has offshore/helicopter requirements). We had fun talking about it later at dinner in the cafeteria before meeting up with some folks at the slab for a night cap.

These are helicopters at the Luanda Domestic Terminal, but I thought they would compliment this story nicely!


1 comment:

  1. Don't settle for an ordinary Bryce Canyon air tour. Do it right the first time. Take a helicopter ride over the National Park. This article explains who to pick the one that's best for you.

    Bryce Canyon National Park Airport

    ReplyDelete